Date: January 2023
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Hessle, East Yorkshire / Hybrid (Office & Remote)
Salary: £22k, with great progression potential for the right candidate
The Graduate Software Engineer role forms an integral part of our development team. You will be working on exciting projects both internally, and for our partners to push boundaries, supported by a team of existing front and back-end developers.
This role is ideal for a graduate, and provides a great platform to learn from the ground up, with the right mentoring along the way. You will have an aptitude for problem solving, an enthusiasm to learn the latest web development technologies, and have a passion for continuous learning.
As a Graduate Software Engineer at Herd, you'll be working on innovative projects alongside our existing development and performance marketing experts. From the outset you will be driving standards and innovation.
Having the right people is really important. Cooperation and collaboration within the team is key, allowing us to work together to get the job done. Our partners want the best and we’re always innovating to exceed their expectations. We work hard, but also play hard, and strive to produce the best results in all aspects of our work be it design or code.Chris Gill, Head of Development, Herd
If you think this is you, we’d love to hear from you.
In this role, you will:
- Develop rich web applications to the highest standards
- Write unit tests, integration tests and automated E2E tests
Relevant qualification / degree or equivalent industry experience.
- Exposure to web technologies
- An understanding of UI/UX principles and best practice
- Have a good working knowledge of client-side web application development including knowledge of the DOM
- Experience of working with source control
- Familiarity with version control and Git
- Excellent organisation and attention-to-detail
- Good task management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of software design patterns and when to apply them
- Background experience in software testing, QA or service desk
- Experience of TDD, BDD or XP
- Experience of DevOps for on-premises and cloud based applications
- Experience with Shopify, or Umbraco
What we'll offer
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays!
- Hybrid working model – because life isn't rigid, we're not either. To achieve a healthy work/life balance, we operate a hybrid working model allowing you to combine working from the office and remotely inline with business needs
- Herd profit share – promoting shared stewardship with the herd
- A top of the range laptop and equipment required to fulfil your role, wherever you're working
- In-house and external training including opportunities to attend the best industry conferences and training events each year
- Herd member of the month as voted by your peers to celebrate success and recognise achievements with a cheeky shopping voucher reward!
- Discounted gym membership for you and your family at 10 East Riding leisure centres
- Regular socials and quarterly team lunches with the herd
- Hump day coffee – midweek coffee catch-up, the only rule is 'no work chat'
- Fizz Friday – on the last Friday of every month, reflect on 'herd wins' with a tipple of your choice
- Unlimited amounts of Yorkshire tea
Who we employ
- The energetic: you buzz with positivity and infect everyone around you with your enthusiasm. You inspire others to be more you
- The trail blazers: you think outside the box, pushing boundaries as a real thought leader. You thrive on innovation
- The determined: you see problems as opportunities. You keep going and keep the herd focussed on the end goal
- The brave: you speak up and you challenge. You dare to do what others won't. You learn from your experiences
- The matriarchs: you nurture and lead the herd around you. You are the glue that keeps us together. You are the constant in a world of change
Here at Herd, we specialise in Shopify eCommerce websites and performance marketing. Our herd is highly skilled and works on trusted brands across the UK and beyond. Our thirst for performance is the key to our success.
What we are proud of: we are proud of our culture, delivering transparency and value for our clients which leads to long-term partnerships.
Our mission and vision: our mission is to become the leading Shopify agency in the UK for eCommerce and performance marketing.
Our environment: our team are based in our head office in Hessle which has been recently refurbished into a collaborative, open plan environment. We have a great view of the Humber Bridge and being just off the A63 makes commuting easy.
Our team: our growing team is a great blend of personalities that gives us a unique, engaging and fun environment to be part of.
Our team are fundamental to our success. This is why we invest in external training and mentoring. We're here to help you become the best that you can be, and provide the support and opportunity to progress.
We love to celebrate individual and team successes together with highlights such as employee of the month and company bonus scheme.
We have a busy social calendar, there's always something happening with organised events, with the first Wednesday of every month reserved for Herd staff lunch. For any budding bakers, you'll even get chance to take part in our theme days.
Our herd values & behaviours
One herd: shared goals / work in partnership / achieve your potential
Sparkle & shine: can-do attitude / inspiring & motivating / transformational change
Walk the walk: keep it simple / do what you say / under promise, over deliver
Growing giants: be brave / dare to lead / create a lasting legacy
Good vibes: keep it real / act with integrity / be the difference you want to see
Ready to join our herd?
Now is a great time to join our expanding team.
If you're the perfect fit for our herd, we'd love to hear from you. Please feel free to get in touch for further information or to discuss the role and next steps in more detail.