Dates: June/July 2023 (flexible for the right candidate)
Job Type: Full time internship (37.5 hours p/w) for 12 weeks initially
Location: Hessle, East Yorkshire
Salary: £10.42 p/h
The Web Developer Intern position will be the ideal role for somebody looking to get their career started in web development. You will form integral part of our growing front-end development team.
You'll be working on innovative projects for our partners and our own brand, alongside our existing development and digital marketing experts. You will have an aptitude for problem solving and a passion for continuous learning. You’ll learn what it takes to build mobile-first with progressive enhancement across multiple devices and screen sizes, and gain experience of the latest web design and development technologies.
In this role, you will:
- Build a range of dynamic and eCommerce websites
- Develop mobile-first for multiple devices and screen sizes
- Develop rich web applications to the highest standards
- Develop front end interfaces, MVC/WebAPI applications .NET Core, MVC, Web APIs, C#.
- Write unit tests, integration tests and automated E2E tests
Degree level qualification in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent. Secondary education with minimum GCSE grade 4 or above in English and Mathematics.
- Exposure to web technologies
- An understanding of UI/UX principles and best practice
- Have a good working knowledge of client-side web application development including knowledge of the DOM
- Familiarity with version control and Git
- Excellent organisation and attention-to-detail
- Good task management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- A willingness to learn and develop
- Relevant work experience in a similar role – helpful but not essential
- Understanding of software design patterns and when to apply them
- Background experience in software testing, QA or service desk
- Experience of TDD, BDD or XP
- Experience of DevOps for on-premises and cloud based applications
- Experience with Shopify, or Umbraco
You will receive a combination of the following:
- Personalised training plan (blend of face-face and online training)
- Access and time to complete online courses & industry accreditations
- Training and mentoring from our team of experts
The normal progression route for a Web Developer Intern would potentially lead to a permanent position in our development team upon successful completion of the internship.
What we'll offer
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays (pro-rata)
- A top of the range laptop and equipment required to fulfil your role, wherever you're working
- In-house and external training including opportunities to attend the best industry conferences and training events each year
- Herd member of the month as voted by your peers to celebrate success and recognise achievements with a cheeky shopping voucher reward!
- Discounted gym membership for you and your family at 10 East Riding leisure centres
- Regular socials and quarterly team lunches with the herd
- Hump day coffee – midweek coffee catch-up, the only rule is 'no work chat'
- Fizz Friday – on the last Friday of every month, reflect on 'herd wins' with a tipple of your choice
- Unlimited amounts of Yorkshire tea (other drinks also provided)
Who we employ
- The energetic: you buzz with positivity and infect everyone around you with your enthusiasm. You inspire others to be more you
- The trail blazers: you think outside the box, pushing boundaries as a real thought leader. You thrive on innovation
- The determined: you see problems as opportunities. You keep going and keep the herd focussed on the end goal
- The brave: you speak up and you challenge. You dare to do what others won't. You learn from your experiences
- The matriarchs: you nurture and lead the herd around you. You are the glue that keeps us together. You are the constant in a world of change
Here at Herd, we specialise in Shopify eCommerce websites and performance marketing. Our herd is highly skilled and works on trusted brands across the UK and beyond. Our thirst for performance is the key to our success.
What we are proud of: we are proud of our culture, delivering transparency and value for our clients which leads to long-term partnerships.
Our mission and vision: our mission is to become the leading Shopify agency in the UK for eCommerce and performance marketing.
Our environment: our team are based in our head office in Hessle which has been recently refurbished into a collaborative, open plan environment. We have a great view of the Humber Bridge and being just off the A63 makes commuting easy.
Our team: our growing team is a great blend of personalities that gives us a unique, engaging and fun environment to be part of.
Our team are fundamental to our success. This is why we invest in external training and mentoring. We're here to help you become the best that you can be, and provide the support and opportunity to progress.
We love to celebrate individual and team successes together with highlights such as Herd member of the month and company bonus scheme.
We have a busy social calendar, there's always something happening with organised events, with the first Wednesday of every month reserved for Herd staff lunch. For any budding bakers, you'll even get chance to take part in our theme days.
Herd Values & Behaviour
We have 6 core values and behaviours that underpin our Herd culture and ensure our success as a business. These are:
One herd: shared goals / work in partnership / achieve your potential
Sparkle & shine: can-do attitude / inspiring & motivating / transformational change
Walk the walk: keep it simple / do what you say / under promise, over deliver
Growing giants: be brave / dare to lead / create a lasting legacy
Good vibes: keep it real / act with integrity / be the difference you want to see
Performance: for our partners / It's our business to grow theirs
Ready to join our herd as one of our next interns?
Now is a very exciting time to join our expanding team as we grow our business.
If you're the perfect fit for our herd, we'd love to hear from you. Please feel free to get in touch for further information or to discuss the role and next steps in more detail.
How to apply
Send your CV and covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'Graduate Internship – Junior Developer' no later than 16/04/23.
Closing date: Midnight on Sunday 16th April
Interviews will take place for all shortlisted candidates before the end of April at Herd HQ.